Well the cold weather has hit New England so you should be expecting a lot of food posts coming from When The Kids Go To Bed. I’ll be hibernating in my kitchen until April, and helping everyone put on winter weight. You’re very welcome.
I was cleaning out and washing the inside of my refrigerator this weekend (one of my to-do’s before the holidays). I had a few carrots left and a half of a container of baby spinach & baby kale that needed to be cooked. My wheels started turning and I put together this soup and hoped for the best. Well, it was DELICIOUS so I had to share it.
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
4 medium carrots (chopped)
1 lb. sweet Italian turkey sausage (remove casing)
14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
8 cups low sodium chicken stock
3 cups baby spinach/baby kale
15.5 oz can of cannellini beans (drain/rinse)
1/2 cup ditillini pasta
salt & pepper
I always start my soups with cooking the pasta separately. I don’t like when I put it in before cooking and it soaks up all of broth. Just my little tip!
- Heat up a large stock pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Toss in onions and carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage and break it apart.
- Cook until onions are translucent and sausage is cooked through.
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Add chicken stock, cover, and bring to a rolling simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add beans, the spinach/kale, and the drained pasta and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
It was seriously delicious! I hope you enjoy.