We’ve all been there haven’t we? Just eating to eat. Not thinking about it at all. I know I’ve been there plenty. A bag of Goldfish, a glass of wine, a basket of laundry, and Grey’s Anatomy. All of the sudden I’m at the bottom of the bag! Oops. How did that happen? Even when it’s healthy food. Sure peppers and hummus for a snack is a great choice, but don’t eat the entire container. That’s no good. We’ve been there. Sitting down to dinner when you’re famished. Down the hatch it goes and you didn’t even taste it! Standing up in the kitchen eating cheese and crackers while you debate on what to make for dinner. None of these are good habits. We need to be more mindful when we eat, it makes a world of difference.
Now I’m not a certified nutritionist, but I have read plenty and have a bit of common sense. Here are some tips I wanted to share to help you eat more mindfully.
- Eat with your non-dominant hand. This will help slow you down so your not wolfing it all down too quickly. You’ll take in too many calories before your body realizes that you’ve eaten enough.
- Pour out snacks into a portion size bowl. If you need to count out 60 Goldfish or 16 Nut Thins, do it.
- Really think about whether in fact you are really hungry or just thirsty. Believe it or not, it’s common to confuse the two. Have a glass of water before grabbing that snack from the cabinet.
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Make sure to incorporate them into every meal and snack.
- Stay away from saturated fats. That’s just a no-brainer.
- Don’t be scared of good fats like avocado, raw nuts, and fatty fish.
- Carbs like pasta, oats, and whole grains help energize you. Don’t cut them out completely.
- Read labels. It can be tedious to start, but once you know your basic staples you get a better idea of what you’re putting into your body and where you should make changes.
- Understand portions. This source from WebMD is great.
- Meal plan. Prepare foods ahead of time so there is always something healthy to grab. It makes the week so much easier. My lunches for the next three days are done. I just need to grab the container and go. So simple!
Do you have any tips to share?